Monday, November 11, 2019

Vol. 4, No. 315, November 11, 2019


4315 - Technology Woes.

Today I was getting ready to teach for the afternoon and saw that SMART Technologies needed some updates. I figured it would be okay to start updating now and if it needed a restart, I could do that between classes or at the end of the day. Well I was wrong! As I was starting my second class of Kindergarten, a notification popped up asking if I wanted to save my files. I clicked cancel, because I didn’t want to restart now and I figured that was stop it. Nope, not only did the file I was using close, the entire app disappeared from my computer. I was frustrated, fortunately my Kinders bared with me as I tried different things like restarting the computer. It didn’t work, so I went old school. Instead of drawing on the SMART Board, I would draw on the White Board. This was working, however, we were drawing emotions, which required redrawing the head over and over again. Then I got smart. I remembered that I had a Doc Cam, I could simply display the worksheet that the students had and make my own hard copy of the assignment. I used the Doc Cam again for the first grade lesson, texture fish. Students used the texture on the bottom of their shoe to make a fish. Normally I just draw the parts out on the SMART Board for students to see. Today, I made my own example in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment