Thursday, June 1, 2017

Vol. 2, No. 152, June 1, 2017


2152 - Sonobe Recycle.

Today I was a substitute math teacher in Howard Lake. When I was planning my project for today, I knew that there was a stack  of art club registration forms sitting in the office that needed to be recycled as art club was over 2 weeks ago. What better way is there to recycle paper than to make origami?

I picked up the papers, brought them to  the art room, and used the paper cutter to cut them into 4.25" square pieces. Why this size? Well that's the size of half the short edge of the paper, allowing me 4 squares per paper. I brought the squares to the math room and got started on my project.

I wanted to make a large origami ball, like the blue ones that I made in April, only I wanted it to be larger. Bigger balls require more squares of paper, but I didn't know how many, so I did some reasearch. I discovered that this form of origami is called modular origami and it can be used to build lots of different models. In modular origami, you combine multiple units folded form single pieces of paper into more complicated forms. The Sonobe unit is one form of unit that can be used to  create modular origami. Sonobe is the unit that I learned how to make in high school math class.

As I said before, I wanted to make a large ball, After my research my goal was to  make a 90-unit ball. I got all of the Sonobes folded and started to assemble my ball with 30 minutes left in the school day. As hard as I tried, I couldn't figure out how to connect the Sonobes to make a circle. I wanted to leave a completed ball at school, so I eventually gave up on the 90-unit and settled for three smaller balls, a 30-unit, a 12-unit, and a 6-unit. I left all three balls lined up on a table in the math room.

I still have more squares, to be folded, so I think I will try the 90-unit ball again tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment