Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 184, July 3, 2018


3184 - Sparkle Tuesday.

Today’s project was a mega collaboration. It began during a pontoon ride with some of my aunts, uncles and cousins. As we were cruising Lake Stella, we noticed a large piece of driftwood and decided to pick it up to protect all everyone enjoying water sports on the lake. We continued with our ride and I mentioned that I needed to do my project, someone suggested using the driftwood and then started giving me suggestions as to what I should make. Once we had reached shore, I discussed it more with Cousin D. We concluded that sparklers would be the best option as we were out celebrating the Fourth of July.

After dinner, I brought the drift wood back to the water, I tested it to see which side would face up when floating and then started inserting sparklers in all of the crevices of the log. I had about 24 sparklers in the log when I decided to let it go in the water, it began to tip over. Luckily I was able to catch it before the sparklers got wet. Cousin N offered to light the sparklers for me and ended up trying to do so while holding the top-heavy log. The lighting process wasn’t going very well, so we retreated to figure out plan B. Cousin S jumped in to help; he is an engineer and was able to rig up a table for the log to sit on in the water, helping it to stay more stable.

Cousin N also decided we needed some sort of lighter fluid to help the sparklers get started; the sparklers were old so they weren’t lighting very well. He found Tiki Torch Oil and proceeded to dip the tips of all the sparklers. Then we were ready to try lighting them again. This time Aunt R offered to help light. We did get the majority of the sparklers lit at the same time, but the sparking was sporadic. The boat also decided to return to dock at the same time, thus it ended up in my shots. Of all of the pictures I took, this one is one of my favorites, largely in part to the heart in the middle formed by the flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment