Monday, November 20, 2017

Vol. 2, No. 324, November 20, 2017


2324 - Hope Floats.

Surface Rubbings
We use and encounter different materials every day, each with their own colours, textures and creative potential. This week, the team at HICA is challenging you to create:

Create your own surface rubbing using materials from around your environment. Place a piece of paper over your chosen material and rub the paper with pencils, charcoal, crayon or ink to see what images you can create.
Today is National Children’s Day, so I was thinking about my childhood and things I liked do. One memory that popped into my head was making surface rubbings at my grandparent’s house. As I currently live in their house, with the same furniture, many of the same textures were available. Since the 64 Million Artists Weekely Challenge is to make surface rubbings I thought this worked out great. I found a scrap of tissue paper and some crayons and went in search of different surfaces. When the paper started to rip, I decided it was time to stop. I took the colored tissue paper and folded it into an origami boat, another childhood toy, and set it to float. The tissue paper was thin and quickly soaked up water, making it collapse, but it held up for a couple pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment