Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Vol. 4, No. 116, April 24, 2019


4116 - Perfect Square.

During this past cycle, my kindergarteners did a lesson based on the book “Perfect Square” by Michael Hall. For this project each student chose a square paper; they had a choice between one with cutting guides or plain construction paper. With their chosen paper, they cut, ripped, tore, wrinkled, shredded, and folded to create something new. I wanted to make an example with each of the available options and was able to get 4.5 of 6 completed during class. The bird was my first creation, made from construction paper. Next was the waterfall inspired by a student’s work. This was followed by the broccoli looking tree, not a great success. To top it off, today I made the dinosaur and volcano. This particular creation was a collaboration between myself and a student. I did all of the tearing of the printed square; the student helped me color. It’s not exactly how I would have done it and I was very thankful when the clean up bell started ringing, forcing her to stop coloring and “wrecking” my artwork. The half project that I made was a neat star design made from printed green triangles. I didn’t get a chance to color the background and didn’t include it in my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment