Thursday, April 25, 2019

Vol. 4, No. 117, April 25, 2019


4117 - Pressed Paint.

This week, my middle schoolers started painting lessons. This quarter I decided to try pallet paper, which has a waxy side for mixing paint. Since the paint doesn’t absorb into the paper, the paint stays wet longer. Therefore at the end of class, students still had wet paint on their pallet. I told them to fold the papers before putting them in the trash to help keep things a little cleaner. Of course, after they folded it, they had to unfold it to see that pattern that was made from the paint. One student showed me her pallet and I thought it would be fun to press it on to a piece of paper I had sitting near by. The result was pretty cool, so as more students showed me their pallet, I made more impressions on the same paper. At the end of the hour, I used a brush to smear the paint filling every corner of the paper. The next day, I was prepping the paint bottles, and had a squirt some paint out on a piece of paper. I couldn’t just throw away this fresh paint, so I poured it around a bit and when I was mixed, I decided to smash it on another paper, making a print. The print was pretty neat, so I laid it out to dry. Today I saw the print laying on my work table, it looked like a bird with a little seed in its mouth. So I used a Sharpie to add some details. Then I remembered my impressed paper from the other day, still on the drying rack. It would make a perfect background, so I cut out the bird and put it on the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment