Thursday, May 16, 2019

Vol. 4, No. 138, May 16, 2019


4138 - Transition.

Last week one of my TK (transitional Kindergarten) students came to class with a broken arm. She seemed to be struggling with her project a little bit, so I asked her about it. Turns out she broke her dominant hand. Being the first year of TK, I didn’t have a curriculum developed, so for the most part I just followed the Kindergarten curriculum and threw in a different lesson or two when I thought a project would be too challenging, or we needed extra time on something. This being said, I decided to throw in an impromptu drawing lesson this week to support my friend with a broken arm. We did a step by step drawing showing the students how they can change one thing into something else just adding new lines. The challenge was that everyone had to complete this drawing with their non-dominant hand. Many students struggles, continuing to switch their crayons back to their dominant hand. I drew my example on the SMART Board, using my left hand (non-dominant). It was actually easy for me, and I didn’t really notice any difference in my drawing. When I was finished I noticed the dull pain that came from straining my left hand for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment