Friday, March 2, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 61, March 2, 2018


3061 - Clay Week.

I have always hated doing clay projects with my elementary students. Clay is sort of a touchy material to work with; if you don’t attach pieces correctly, they can fall off; too thick, it can explode; too dry, it can crack. All of these factors make it clay with kids a challenge. I was thankful that I was able to keep clay to one week this year. This made for a very busy, slightly stressful week, but I made it through. Today was the final clay day and I made sure to take a couple minutes to make a project for myself. My Grade 4 students were making coil candy dishes in an interesting shape. I decided to turn my candy dish into a doughnut. It’s definitely not the most creative dish that was made this week, but I was rushed for time; even more so than my students who only got about 25 minutes to actually build with clay.

With all 290 some projects labeled and drying, I left for the weekend. Leaving abruptly (to get to my next school) means that on Monday I have a clay-dust covered classroom to clean-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment