Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 73, March 14, 2018


3073 - Perfect Pi.

I fell in love with Pi Day in 11th grade when my pre-calc teacher served each us a slice of pie of our choice. We could choose any kind we wanted and she bought it for us; I choose Banana Cream Pie. Since then, I have been making my own pies on Pi Day. Some years it was simple like pudding pie and other years took some time. Today’s pie was a little on the time consuming side.

Last year, I made Sweet Potato Pie for the first time. It was delicious, but my family didn’t appreciate it, so I was left to eat the entire pie myself. Wanting Sweet Potato Pie again, I got smart this year and found a recipe for Sweet Potato Hand Pies, cute little pie circles that I can freeze and eat for weeks to come.

I used store bought dough because it’s faster than making my own. Rolling it extra thin because I don’t like a lot of crust on my pies, I then cut out circles. I filled half of the circles with the sweet potato mixture, which consisted of sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Then I laid on the top crust and used a fancy Pampered Chef press to seal the edges. I cut in a Pi symbol on the top of each pie, gave it an egg wash, and sprinkled them with raw sugar. Twenty minutes in the oven and I had delicious mini pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment