Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 213, August 1, 2018


3213 - Vegimal.

Today was entry day for the Meeker County Fair. I entered 49 projects in Open Class. I had a variety of plants, food, arts and crafts, and photography. This year I entered in one new catagory, that was ‘Vegimal Group’. In this catagory, you create a animal or person using 3 or more vegetables. I went to the garden and found a cucumber, a green bean, tomatoes that were still green, and carrots that I had weeded to make room for other carrots to grow larger.

I started by cutting the cucumber diagonally and hollowing it out. Then I cut an opening for the mouth and carved out the teeth. Next I made the eyes by carving a hole, inserting the tomatoes and lifting the skin flap for an eyelid. I used skin from the other half of the cucumber to create fins. Finished the shark by I poking holes along the top the of cucumber, inserting carrots to create a Mohawk like design. I decided to make it more creative by adding a smaller fish in the sharks mouth. This fish was made with a green bean body, cucumber skin fins and cucumber seed eyes. I placed the completed sculpture on a blue plate.

This project is scored on Creativity (30), Workmanship (20), and Appearance (50). I will have to wait until tomorrow to see how it scored, but regardless of how well I do, it was fun to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment