Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 360, December 26, 2018


3360 - Family Tradition.

I made Potato Lefse with my grandparents for the first time when I was a teenager. I don’t remember making it frequently, but the whole family loved it when we did. The one time I really remember was when we were making Lefse the winter before Granny died. She wasn’t feeling well, so Papa and I did most of the work. We were using the electric griddle on the marble countertop. The high heat for an extended period of time caused the countertop to crack. After this I started making Lefse on my own, usually recruiting my mom to help.

We didn’t have a great recipe, so we kept trying different ones eventually combining several recipes to make what I called Hansen Lefse. Last year for Christmas, I received a Lefse turning stick and a pastry board, but never used them. After being prodded my uncle to make lefse, I took the leftover mashed potatoes from Christmas and put my new supplies to work. With only potatoes, butter, salt and lots of flour, Mom, Becca and I with a little help from Shawn, made 47 pieces of Lefse. This picture shows the lefse making process from rolling out the dough to placing the cooked lefse on a damp towel to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment