Monday, April 17, 2017

Vol. 2, No. 107, April 17, 2017


2107 - 17 - Open to Interpretation.

Day 17


Finish this statement any way you want: One thing I know to be true...

...is that Litchfield Community Youth Theatre's production of Lion King Jr. opens on Thursday. For this reason, my project today was to make 45 more dandelions to go with the 10 I made a few weeks ago. I need 55 all together so that each actor and crew member gets one. While this tends to be a large under taking, I like ensuring that each child receives at least one flower during the show. I started about 5 years ago and I try to make the flower relate to the show; for The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley Jr. I made "flat" flowers, which were painted on a bookmark; for My Son Pinocchio Jr. I made "wooden" roses from cardboard.

The process of making the dandelions is to sew string on to a straw; wrap the string around the straw and a fork, tying it off and snipping the loops to create a pom-pom; dye the flower; let it dry completely; rinse out the excess dye; let the flower dry completely again; finally fluf the flower and wrap the straw with floral tape. It is a time consuming process, but they look really neat when they are finished. Unfortunately due to time constraints, I wasn't able to actually complete all of the flowers today. I did get them made, dyed, and rinsed, so all I have to do is wrap the stems after they are dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment