Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Vol. 3, No. 289, October 16, 2018


3289 - Teachers Rule.

DAY 16

Make something that reminds you of a teacher who inspired you.

Bonus: Give it to them!

One teacher who has inspired me is Mr. Gerry Kulzer. Mr. Kulzer was my high school teacher and even though he tried to convince me that I could become a great art teacher without becoming a Bennie and paying a ton for tuition, he helped me put together my art portfolio when I was applying for scholarships. Little did I know that 8 years and a TON of money spent on tuition later, he would become my colleague. In fact, he was responsible for me landing that job in the first place.

Gerry and I co-taught Jr. High and Sr. High art at Holy Trinity for 3 years. I learned a lot from Gerry during that time, which helped me to grow and have the confidence to tackle my own Middle School art classes. Even though we are no longer co-workers, I still check back to Gerry’s website on regular basis to pull lesson ideas for my students.

Our classroom at HT and Gerry’s classroom at his other school are still “old school” and have chalk boards. So, this month, Gerry is doing ‘Chalktober”, in which he creates a chalk drawing every day. One of my favorites so far was of a rose, so I decided to make my own chalk drawing today. Unfortunately, my classrooms only have dry erase boards, and I actually had to look really hard to find some white chalk. Instead of drawing on a chalkboard, I had to make do with a piece of black tag board.

I guess all that is left to say is Thank You Gerry! You continue to inspire me to be a great teacher and a great artist. I will keep practicing so that one day, my rose can be as good as yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment