Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Vol. 2, No. 73, March 14, 2017


2073 - Sweet Potato π. #NationalPiDay #LearnAboutButterfliesDay

There are many things that we can celebrate today, but who wants to celebrate National Potato Chips or National Children's Craft Day when you can celebrate Pi(e)?

Today, 3.14, is widely celebrated in the math community as π (pi) day. I have been celebrating it since my junior year of high school, when my Pre-Calculus teacher brought each student the kind of pie of their choosing. I chose Banana Cream Pie. Since then, with exception of the year or 2 in which I forgot until it was too late, I have celebrated my making my own pie of some sort. Some years it was just a pudding pie, but others it was more elaborate, like Chocolate Pecan.

This year, I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time, because I had to work until noon, 35 minutes to drive home, and then play practice at 5:30, plus find time to eat lunch and/or supper. So, I decided to try my hand at Sweet Potato Pie. I've never had it before, but I like pie and I like sweet potatoes, so it should be good. Plus the recipe looked easy; steam the potatoes, throw all of the ingredients in the blender, pour in to pie crust and bake.

I didn't want all of the other national days to feel left out, so I decorated my pie with butterflies to celebrate National Learn About Butterflies Day.

As it turns out, I do like Sweet Potato Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment